Rath Yatra-The Chariot Festival of Puri is an important regional festival of Odisha that is second to the Kumbha mela in scale and grandeur. This annual festival observed on the second day of Ashadha month i.e., late June or early July observed on the second day of Ashadha month i.e., late June or early July and involves the manual pulling of the wooden chariots of Lord Jagannath, Lord Balram and Devi Shubhadra
- The annual Rath Yatra is a 9-day-long celebration that culminates with the pulling of the chariots. In 2021, the Rath Yatra is schedule to be held on 12 July.
- The Chariot of Lord Jagannath is called ‘Nandighosh ,that of his borther- Lord Balabhadra is called ‘Taladvaja’ while ‘ Padmadhvaja ‘is the name of their sister Subhadra’s chariot.
- This Rath Yatra Tour can be modified depending upon the arrival details of the guest.
- Those reaching Puri directly by train can either begin and end the journey at Puri itself or move to Bhubaneswar for the next leg of their Odisha tour post the Rath Yatra festivities.
- Those reaching Bhubaneshwar by flight or train can either start their journey from the capital city by doing a short city tour before proceeding to Puri the next day for the festival or vice-versa.
- Fun Fact: The English word ‘juggernaut’ is said to be originated from the chariot of Lord Jagannath.
- Destination Covered: Bhubaneswar – Konark – Puri – Chilika.
Day 01: Bhubaneswar-Puri - Konark
Arrival Bhubaneswar or Puri, transfer to Hotel/Resort at Puri . Afternoon Visit to Konark Sun Temple, A.S.I Museum, Chandrabhaga Beach. Dinner & Over Night Stay at Puri .
Day 02: Puri- Jagannath Rath Yatra
Early morning after breakfast, proceed to see the Rath Yatra at Puri Bada Danda Road. Experience the Chariot Festival from the Roof Top. Vegetarian Food ( packed lunch and snacks) will be provided by hotel. Evening return back to hotel.
Day 03: Puri - Chilika - Puri-Bhubnaeshwar
Morning check out from your hotel at Puri after breakfast to visit the Chilika Lake. It’s the largest earnestine lake of Asia and home to Irrawaddy Dolphins & migratory birds. We will take a cruise to see the dolphins and to see the sea- mouth of Chilika -area where lake meets the Sea. After lunch, we head back to Bhubaneswar visiting en-route Peace Pagoda of Dhauli Giri Hills & Ashoka rock Encrypt of 3rd Century BC. Over Night at Bhubaneswar.
Day 04: Bhubaneshwar City Tour and Departure
After breakfast , check out from the hotel for a city tour comprising of a visit to temples like Lingraj Temple, Rajarani Temple, Mukteswar Temple etc. If time permits visit the oldest rock cut Jaina caves of Khandagiri & Udayagiri Jain caves. Evening drop at E railway station/ airport for onward journey.