One of the biggest and grandest music and dance festival devoted to Indian classical dance and folk dance, the participants of Konark Dance Festival will leave you mesmerizes with their magical performance. Held every year at Konark with the breathtaking Sun temple as its background, the Konark Dance Festival is one event that travelers shouldn’t miss when holidaying in Odisha, India.
Also running simentanlously with the Konark Dance Festival are several other events & festivals like the International Sand Art Festival when sand artists from all over the globe create marvelous creations that will leave in awe; a handicraft mela where artisans from all over Odisha showcase and sell their wonderful hand -crafted wares and finally a food festival where can savor the culinary delights of the Odisha.
In addition to the festival, guest can also visit some of the nearby areas for a complete and immersive holiday experience. A few of these places include
- The Sun Temple of Konark : The site of the Konark Dance and Music festival and world UNESCO heritage site , the Konark temple is famed for its erotic sculptures.
- Ramchandi Temple– Located on the banks of the Kushabhadra river this is a wish fulfilling temple dedicated to Goddess Ramchandi.
- Chaurasi – 30 km from Konark , Chaurasi is famed for its tantric shrine dating back to 9th century.
- Kuruma – An important archaeological site housing several Buddhist relics, its museum is opened on all days except Friday.
- Chandrabhaga Beach : site of the International sand art festival
- Ramchandi Beach:- A serene and quite beach that can be reached after crossing the Kushabhadra river.
- Astaranga Sea Beach- One of the least crowded beach located an hour’s drive from Konark.
Guests keen on covering these sites are requested to add 1 or 2 days to the existing itinerary.
The tour can be modified according to the festival dates and ticket availability
Day 1- Arrival at Bhubaneswar & Transfer to Konark
Post your arrival at Bhubaneshwar, you will be transferred to Konark visiting en-route the Buddhist peace pagoda at Dhauli. Checkin to your hotel at Konark. Evening head to Konark Sun Temple Open Theater to enjoy the dance festival. Festival will last till 9 pm.
DAY 2- Konark-Puri
After breakfast we will check out and head for Puri. But before that we will spend some time at the Sand Art festival at Chandrabhaga beach. If time permits , we will also visit the Ramchandi temple and beach. Afternoon reach Puri ; check-in and freshen up. After rest visit the Jagannath Temple for a darshan. Evening at the beach.
Note : Non Hindus are not allowed into the Jagannath Temple though they can get a darshan of the Lord from outside the temple.
DAY 3- Puri - Chilika - Puri
Morning drive to Chilika Lake/Satapada (largest brackish water lake). Cruise to visit the Irrawaddy Dolphins , the sea moth and several river islands. Evening relax at Puri Golden Beach or Blue Flag Beach. (Note: Entry fee to blue flag beach is Rs.10/ person for 3 hours) Overnight stay at Puri.
After breakfast and check out, we leave for the capital city of Bhubaneswar. Enroute we will visit the artisan villages of Raghurajpur and Pipli . Reach Bhubaneswar around noon. After check-in and some rest, we will begin our half day temple tour visiting the Parasurameshwar Temple, , Mukteshwar Temple, Rajarani Temple and Lingaraj Temple.
DAY 5- Check Out and Departure
After breakfast check out from hotel and transfers to airport / railway station for your onwards journey.